If Death Occurs At Home
1. Telephone the doctor who will visit to confirm that death has taken place.
2. Contact a funeral director.
3. Arrange to collect the doctor's Medical Certificate of Death (usually from the surgery).
4. Follow the steps for registering a death (below).
If The Death Occurs In Hospital
1. Contact a funeral director to inform them that their services are required.
2. Collect the certificate from the hospital then follow the steps for registering a death (below).
Registering a death
Call the most convenient registrar to book an appointment to register the death. A death that happened in Scotland can be registered in any office in Scotland - it no longer has to be in the area in which the death occurred.
When calling to book an appointment, the registrar will advise the paperwork you will require. You will also be offered the "Tell Us Once" service. This service allows the registrars to contact government departments on your behalf to cancel services such as state pension, disabled parking permit, passport and driving licence. This service is optional and fee of charge.
Your funeral director will usually liaise directly with the surgery regarding the additional certification required.