NHS Lothian is asking anyone with a minor injury to Call MIA first to get advice about minor injuries quickly and safely.
To discuss your injury and arrange an appointment if required call 111 after initial message press 9 to continue then Option 2 and Option 2 again.
Call MIA is an online video consultation service for patients aged 12 years and over who have an injury less than 14 days old. It is carried out by a qualified Nurse Practitioner who can provide advice in minutes on injuries including:
• strains, sprains and suspected broken bones of arms and legs
• wounds and minor burns
• minor bumps to head and face
• simple eye injuries
• insect bites and stings
A lot of minor injuries can be treated from the comfort of your own home or with the help of a local pharmacist. If you do need to be examined in person, Call MIA will arrange a suitable appointment at a minor injuries service so you don’t need to wait when you attend.
If your minor injury is over 14 days old, please contact your local GP.
Children aged 12 years and under should attend one of the services at the Royal Hospital for Children and Young People (located next to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh at Little France), Western General Hospital or St John’s Hospital.
Minor Injury Units
Queen Margaret Hospital Minor Injuries Unit (6.5 miles away)
Operate a walk-in service 24 hours-a-day, 7 days a week - NO APPOINTMENT NECESSARY.
The service treats adults and children over one-year old for minor or less serious injuries. Please note that we can only treat injuries sustained within the last 72 hours.
- Arm, wrist and hand injuries
- Knee, ankle and foot injuries
- Back, shoulder and rib injuries
- Head and neck injuries in people who are fully conscious
- Cuts and wounds which may need dressing and stitches
- Minor burns and scalds
Please phone units before attending to check injury suitable for their service - 01383 623 623.
Address: Whitefield Road, Dunfermline, KY12 0SU
- Eye Injuries: Minor eye injuries only.
- Paediatrics: Only children over 1 year old.
- Emergencies: Minor trauma only.
- X Ray: Available 0800-2200 daily